This keto mug cake is the ultimate low carb dessert for one that takes just ONE minute to bake! Moist, fluffy, and easy to make in the oven, it comes with EIGHTEEN flavor options!
While there are a plethora of keto desserts I have up my sleeve, mug cakes are my favorite. They require minimal prep and there is no temptation to overeat, as they are portion controlled.
Why this keto mug cake recipe will be a game changer-
- Ready in one minute. Seriously, the bake time for this cake is just one minute, thanks to the magic of a microwave! They don’t call this a microwave mug cake for nothing!
- Simple and easy ingredients. No hard-to-find ingredients or unusual flours needed. You probably have everything in your pantry right now!
- It’s satisfying and keeps your diet on track. One mug cake satisfies your sweet tooth completely and you won’t be searching for something else after.
What I love about keto mug cakes is just how many options there are. You can make a mug cake every single night after dinner for dessert, and have a different cake flavor every single time. We’ve included a simple keto mug cake recipe, along with 18 other flavors to try!
How to make a keto mug cake
- Coconut flour– Sifted to ensure there are no clumps. If you can’t find coconut flour in the grocery store, you can make your own.
- Cocoa powder– Unsweetened and sifted coconut flour.
- Brown sugar substitute– Also known as keto brown sugar. If you don’t have any, erythritol or monk fruit sweetener can be used.
- Baking powder– Leavening agent used to give the cake a slight rise.
- Salt– Just a pinch to balance out the sweet ingredients.
- Butter OR coconut oil– I prefer using melted butter, but coconut oil works just as well.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs.
- Milk of choice– I used unsweetened coconut milk, but any keto friendly milk can be used.
- Chocolate chips– Skip the expensive store-bought kind and make your own sugar free chocolate chips.
Start by whisking together the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Add the melted butter, eggs, and milk and whisk until a smooth batter remains. If using chocolate chips, fold them through at the end.
Now, transfer the batter into a greased mug or microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, before enjoying immediately.
Can I bake this in the oven?
If you don’t own a microwave or prefer not to use one, you can easily make this mug cake in the oven instead.
Simply prepare the recipe as instructed, except for the oven option, transfer the batter into an oven safe ramekin. Bake at 180C/350F for 8-10 minutes, or until firm on top.
18 keto mug cakes to try
Lemon Mug Cake
Frequently Asked Questions
Keto mug cakes are single-serving desserts perfect to enjoy every single they. They are relatively low calorie and suitable for a healthy dessert option or even snack!
Mug cakes come out dry because of over-baking them or overcooking them. The key to the perfect moist and cake-y mug cake, is to ensure the batter is thick and smooth. It is best to undercook it and adjust the cooking time from there.
You can batch-cook the mug cakes and refrigerate leftover ones for up to one week. They need to be re-heated in the microwave for 20-seconds before enjoying them.
- Grease a microwave-safe bowl or mug.
- In a small bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the wet ingredients and whisk together until a smooth batter remains. Fold through the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter into the greased mug and microwave for one minute.
- Remove the mug cake from the microwave and enjoy immediately.
Serving: 1mug cake | Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 18g | Sodium: 299mg | Potassium: 169mg | Fiber: 4g | Vitamin A: 644IU | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 2mg | NET CARBS: 2g
Published at Sat, 19 Feb 2022 07:15:00 +0000