I love this recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken and I know you will too!
My recipe is EASY and it is protein sparing! So if you are looking for a high protein, low fat recipe to fit your macros, my easy protein sparing sweet and sour chicken will blow your mind!
To make my easy protein sparing Sweet and Sour Chicken, I used Keto Primo sugar free ketchup!
Keto Primo ketchup is super delicious and makes my sweet and sour chicken recipe extra delicious!
Keto Primo makes sugar free ketchup and sugar free BBQ sauce! My whole family loves their sauces! I also love that Keto Primo is a small business that has very kind owners! You all know I love supporting small business!
The founders of Keto Primo were prompted to research Keto due to their own health issues. The company’s mission is to use food as “culinary medicine”.
From Diana: I struggle with food addiction. I crave bread, rice and tortillas! Over the years, I tried every diet fad and underwent gastric bypass surgery to lose weight. I didn’t realize that most of these diets were actually harmful to my health. Now I found myself suffering from diabetes, high blood pressure and menopause.
I was convinced to try Keto due to stories of individuals with extreme health conditions who had experienced major personal transformations. These people suffered from epilepsy, joint pain, inflammation, diabetes, cancer, alzheimer’s, dementia and more.
After researching Keto for months, I realized I could succeed. The Keto way of eating focused on healthy fats, such as avocados and cheese. These are foods I love to eat! For the first time, I would not feel deprived or guilty.
From Emily: Over the past few years, I became convinced that the typical American diet is a major cause of the health crisis in this country. I had lost both of my parents and several other close family members to cancer. I wondered if food really could be used as a form of medicine, to help prevent cancer and other diseases.
I heard such contradicting information in regard to “healthy diet” however. It gave way to total frustration and confusion.
Discovering Keto was a turning point. Keto had just started catching on in our community. Person by person, I witnessed major transformations. It was much more than weight loss. You could see a difference in the health of their skin. You could feel a positive change in their energy. Then, I started hearing about Keto all over social media. I joined
Facebook groups and tried to learn as much as I could. I watched “The Magic Pill” on Netflix. Even then, it took me several months of trying to understand Keto before I actually started to make changes.
It was hard to wrap my mind around the idea of eating 75% healthy fats. This is the opposite of everything I grew up hearing, especially in the 1990’s and early 2000’s when “non-fat” products were advertised as the key to weight loss. Products like diet sodas, non-fat muffins and meal replacement shakes dominated the grocery store shelves. If only our society understood that being healthy is the goal and weight loss is the bonus.
When I started Keto, I noticed an immediate boost in energy! I came home from work and was playful with my children. We started walking to the park together and playing Frisbee. I didn’t sit on the bench just watching them like before. I was playing with them.
This level of energy was unimaginable the year before. I had nicknamed myself “mombie” because I felt like a walking zombie! It seemed the demands of being a wife, mother and working full time had drained me over the years.
I reasoned that “maybe after 40, this is as good as it gets”. I was wrong!
Over the following weeks and months, I experienced dramatic changes. I no longer felt deprived. I was cooking family meals more and enjoying my food. I was able to focus at work. Weight began to drop off. Family and friends saw my progress and jumped aboard the Keto train. What an amazing ride.
As part of Diana and Emily’s research, they joined Keto social media groups. We all shared the same challenges in following Keto:
1. Misinformation. Many people don’t have the time or passion to research and truly understand Keto. The internet is full of critics that spread misinformation and fear. People often struggle to understand the difference between Keto versus low carb fad diets.
2. Hard to Find Foods. Grocery shopping for the Keto diet is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It involves carefully reading the ingredient label on everything you plan to purchase, only to discover that most of these foods have unhealthy added ingredients. It is difficult to find prepared foods that meet Keto requirements. When foods are aimed towards Keto, they are often unreasonably expensive for a family to purchase.
3. Meal Prep is Time Consuming. To maintain a strict Keto diet takes constant meal prep. There are few prepared foods that are easily available for purchase. With a busy life and family to care for, it is not possible to prep for every meal throughout the week. We simply don’t have time to cook every sauce or meal from scratch. Trying to find Keto friendly fast foods, restaurant food, or easy meal prep aids was next to impossible.
Keto Primo’s personal mission became this: to make the Keto way of eating sustainable by providing all natural, low sugar and delicious pantry staples. Not only was flavor critical (our products are kid tested and approved), but each ingredient is selected with purpose. We include super food ingredients such as pink Himalayan salt, apple cider vinegar and monk fruit extract. Our products are packaged in glass bottles to avoid dangerous chemicals from plastics leaching into the sauce.
A family’s diet is the result of the parents’ choices, and often meal prep is the mother’s responsibility. Keto is about knowledge and understanding.
After being on Keto and feeling a difference in their own health, it became Emily and Diana’s mission to share this way of eating with others. It is time to thrive. Keto on!
So stock up on Keto Primo ketchup because you are going to want to make my easy protein sparing sweet and sour chicken weekly! It is like take-out without the guilt!
Easy Protein Sparing Sweet and Sour Chicken
Author: Maria Emmerich
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bitesized pieces
- Redmond Real salt
- ¼ cup chicken bone broth
- 1/4 cup Keto Primo Ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Swerve brown’ or brown allulose
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- For Garnish:
- Sesame seeds
- Sliced scallions
- Lime wedges
- OPTIONAL SERVING:
- Zero Carb PSMF Fried “Rice” (click HERE)
- Heat the oil in a large wok or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the chicken pieces dry with a paper towel and season well on all sides with salt.
- Fry the chicken in the hot oil until light golden brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the wok and set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the wok and boil over medium heat until reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the wok and bring to a hard boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, sliced scallions, and lime wedges.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the chicken in a greased skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes or until warmed to your liking.
252 calories, 11g fat, 35g protein, 2g carbs, 1g fiber
P:E Ratio 2.9
“This photo can show you some of my journey, and the Maria and Craig Emmerich’s way of keto helped me get off of thyroid medicine.
In December 2020, not sleeping more than and a few hours, and my heart rate was constantly high. I had blood work down and i was off the charts hyperthyroid and my autoimmune system went crazy with ignoring my gall bladder issues for 8 months.
I fought hard to keep my thyroid and avoid radiating it. It’s not my first rodeo fighting to keep it. I always tell them I refuse to have it out because I will never feel normal if you only treat me based on lab numbers. To some 2.5 is a normal TSH but honestly it makes me feel like a slug and my autoimmune is under control better at 0.5-1.0.
I was put on hyperthyroid medicine, and with 2 weeks gained 10 pounds.
April 2021 my numbers were a little high for me to feel normal so I cut back to every other day. This was the month I found PSMF (protein sparing modified fasting) and started the Maria and Craig way of keto.
August: 2 months med free, 4 months 85-90% consistent eating the Maria and Craig Emmerich’s way, about 2 days a week of PSMF.
December 2021: back to normal lab results, still pretty consistent with Maria and Craig way of keto. High protein, moderate fat and ~30 grams of total carbs a day. Can’t wait to have the conversation with the doctor on me being off all the medication again soon.
Maria helped me get off of my thyroid meds, and feel like myself again. Always fight for what you feel is best. I know I would have given in on a thyroid removal or radiating it I would not be on where I am today.
Cheers to 2022 and to start back to PSMF days for a few moths for a cut.” – Tiffany
Most people I consult are doing keto totally wrong. Get fast results with the my Mind-blowing Keto School!
Published at Mon, 28 Mar 2022 09:00:32 +0000
Coupon Codes for Products I Love